Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Homeschooling


I have decided to home school my kids, as I'm sure I have mentioned.  My daughter is 4 and we're working on K4 curriculum.  Basically I search online for different lessons and worksheets  to use for the week and we work together on lessons.  With Daughter having a high probability of ADHD I realize she doesn't learn the same way other kids do.  In fact, kids learn in many ways.  The best way to teach your child is to find out what vehicle they use to learn.  Right now my daughter learns best by combining all the styles into a lesson.  Today's lesson was on senses.  She learned about the 5 senses.  We read a book, Flip Flap Body Book, which was rich with bright pictures.  So she was able to hear and see the lesson.  Then we moved to the kinetic part of the lesson.  We felt things, we smelled things, we tasted things.  She used all her senses to learn about her senses.  How perfect is that?  I even incorporated lunch into her lesson.  I put grapes, a piece of lime, some cilantro, and pretzels on her plate.  She was able to discover the 4 different kinds of taste.  She flew through this lesson and came out with complete understanding and comprehension.  I'm sure there are things that are still over her head like nerves and receptors.  But she knows that they're there and what they basic function is.


ADHD children can learn.  They are incredibly bright and creative children.  The key is to find out how best they learn and incorporate those methods into the lessons making them fun and interesting to the children.  Even if a parent doesn't home school their kids this is a lesson they can still learn from.  What parent with school age children hasn't sat in frustration while helping their child with homework?  Even if a child is sent to school it isn't the school's sole responsibility to teach that child.  Parents should be teaching their children every chance they get.  Understanding that each child is different and learns differently will help you find the vehicle that takes your child to that next level of learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free xml sitemap generator